Uli's Web Site
[ Zathras.de - Uli's Web Site ]
Other Sites: Stories
Pix
Abi 2000
Stargate: Resurgence
Lost? Site Map!
 
 
     home | blog | moose | programming | articles >> blog

 Blog
 
 Archive
 
 Blog Topics
 

15 Most Recent [RSS]

 Less work through Xcode and shell scripts
2011-12-16 @600
 
 iTunesCantComplain released
2011-10-28 @954
 
 Dennis Ritchie deceased
2011-10-13 @359
 
 Thank you, Steve.
2011-10-06 @374
 
 Cocoa Text System everywhere...
2011-03-27 @788
 
 Blog migration
2011-01-29 @520
 
 All you need to know about the Mac keyboard
2010-08-09 @488
 
 Review: Sherlock
2010-07-31 @978
 
 Playing with Objective C on Debian
2010-05-08 @456
 
 Fruit vs. Obst
2010-05-08 @439
 
 Mixed-language ambiguity
2010-04-15 @994
 
 Uli's 12:07 AM Law
2010-04-12 @881
 
 Uli's 1:24 AM Law
2010-04-12 @874
 
 Uli's 6:28 AM Law
2010-04-12 @869
 
 Uli's 3:57 PM Law
2010-04-12 @867
 

More...

An example debugging session

Wil Shipley just posted a neat little description of a debugging session he did. It's a very nice example of the discrepancy between what you see of a bug and what actually causes it. In particular, his code crashes deep in Apple code, and I can't emphasize enough what he's saying:

Now, let me state something unequivocally: 98% of the time when you think you've found a bug that is not your fault, it really is your fault. The other 2% of the time... well, it's probably your fault as well.

Obviously, this generally also applies to APE haxies and SIMBL modules. It's your code that causes this, even if it is six miles away. And usually, there's a workaround that you can implement in your application. Wil could have just told the users to delete the corrupted cache. Instead he made his app do it for them. That way he can be sure that anyone who runs the fixed version can not get that crash.

Reader Comments: (RSS Feed)
No comments yet
Comment on this article:
Name:
E-Mail: (not shown, hashed for Gravatar)
Web Site URL: (optional)
Comment: (plain text only)
Please Enter the following word:
Or E-Mail Uli privately.

 
Created: 2006-03-04 @356 Last change: 2006-03-04 @373 | Home | Admin | Edit
© Copyright 2003-2014 by M. Uli Kusterer, all rights reserved.